As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
To ensure smooth connectivity between the remote and the camera, it is necessary to keep the firmware on both devices updated. Otherwise, compatibility issues might arise.
The steps on how to update GoPro hero 3 Wi-Fi remote firmware is quite simple.
The best option is to do it manually. You just have to go to the official GoPro website, download the new firmware and move it to your SD card. The update will take place automatically. However, there might be some small connectivity issues.
I’ll go over the steps of updating your GoPro Wi-Fi Remote in detail. I will also talk about a few issues that you might face while updating the remote and how to troubleshoot them easily.
Updating the GoPro Wi-Fi Remote with the Hero 3 (Step-by-Step Guide)
To update the GoPro Wi-Fi remote with the Hero 3, you have to manually download the newer firmware on to your computer and move it to your camera through the SD card.
I will provide the steps on how to update GoPro hero 3 Wi-Fi remote firmware below.
Steps of Updating the GoPro Wi-Fi Remote:
Fig 1- Official GoPro Website
- Open the browser on your computer.
- Go to the official GoPro website (Fig 1), https://gopro.com/en/us/ .
Fig 2- Navigating to the Update Section
- Navigate to the Support section of the page and click on Product Updates.
- After going to the Product Updates page, navigate down to the Remote tab and click on it.
Fig 3- Downloading the Update
- Download the update file on to your computer by clicking on the DOWNLOAD UPDATE button (Fig 3).
- Use an SD card reader or an SD card adapter, to insert your camera SD card into your computer.
- Open your downloads folder and locate the update file that you downloaded.
- It will most likely be a ZIP file named, GP_REMOTE_FW_01_02_00.zip.
- Extract the file contents by right clicking on it and selecting “Extract All”.
- Copy the update folder you got after extracting the ZIP file.
- Paste it into the SD card of your camera.
- Turn off your camera.
- Remove the SD card from your computer and place it into your GoPro Hero 3 camera.
- Turn your camera on.
- The update should start automatically after the remote is connected to the camera. Let it reach 100%.
- Press the shutter button on your remote after it has finished updating.
- This will restart your remote and you can now start safely using it.
This is the full method of how you can update firmware of your GoPro Wi-Fi Remote using your Hero 3.
However, the updating procedure does not always go as planned. I will talk about common update issues and how to troubleshoot them.
Troubleshooting GoPro Wi-Fi Remote
As I have mentioned before, the updating procedure does not always go as expected. Often times you might face some hiccups. I will mention some of the common problems and how to solve them below.
Update Stuck at a Certain Percentage:
This is one of the most common issues that plagues the update procedure of many users. You might wonder as to why your update is stuck at 5%, 10% or 99%, and what you have to do now in order to fix it.
Worry not, the fix is quite simple. You just simply have to restart the remote. The steps are very easy.
Fig 4- Restarting the GoPro WiFi Remote
- If your remote id stuck and is not responding to any sort of interaction, press and hold the Power/Mode button for approximately 8 to 12 seconds (Fig 4).
- The remote will then turn off and can be powered on again.
If the issue persists and your remote is now responding to the button presses after the restart, you might try factory resetting it:
- Enter the Menu and navigate to the Remote Settings.
- Use the buttons to navigate to the Reset option.
- Press the Shutter button to confirm your choice and proceed with the factory reset operation.
- The remote will then be completely restored to its factory settings.
These are the steps to restarting or factory resetting the remote.
Remote Not Connecting to Camera
As I have discussed above, the key step in updating the remote, is for it to be connected to the camera. So, if the remote does not connect to the camera, it cannot be updated.
The fix is the same as before. Either try to restart the remote and try to set up connections again. If that does not work, factory resetting the remote should definitely work.
Remote Not Turning On
The remote has a battery and each battery has its own lifecycle. If you are facing issues with the remote turning on, it might either be due to low battery charge, or a bad battery.
In such a case, you might want to charge your remote for some time. If it still does not turn on, you might have to replace the battery of your GoPro remote.
These are some of the common issues that you might face and the steps of how to troubleshoot them.
In this article I have explained all the steps in detail on how to update GoPro Hero 3 Wi-Fi Remote firmware. I have also added some of the common issues that you might face while updating the remote firmware as well as how to troubleshoot them.
I hope this article has helped you update your GoPro Wi-Fi Remote with the help of your Hero 3 camera.